MCCF had a great get together on Friday night to celebrate the efforts of our athletes during the 2017 CrossFit Opens. Major thanks and kudos to Coach Kevin for making this all happen. Besides the food, beverages and laughter we celebrated those who signed up for the Opens and gave it there all. Coach Kevin and Coach Maggie touched upon each of these people during our awards ceremony in which every athlete received a medal made out of an RX Bar 🙂 Below is a list of our athletes and what was said about them minus a few great stand up comic moments.
- This athlete is amazingly determined and never gives up regardless of what’s in front of her. A smaller athlete, the weights in our Workouts or the Opens might intimidate other athletes of her size, but she always accepts the challenge. She’s also one of our kindest and most congenial athletes – Heather Chase
- This athlete has to be considered one of our female Rookies of the Year. She has an incredible spirit like many of our athletes she never gives up. She works hard with a smile on her face, and her joy is contagious – Beth Borden
- This athlete is our male most improved athlete of the year. He never gives up, or gives in and he has steadily improved his strength and stamina. He’s a kind soul and a good friend. If only he would swear now and again – Ed Kerrigan.
- This athlete is one of our coaches and he is definitely an impressive athlete. His has a huge heart, he’s very kind, but he has a little teeny tiny…ego, which really makes him a pleasure to be around. One of the most humble athletes I’ve ever met – Gabe Chase
- This is a truly remarkable athlete, whether he’s lifting over on the Canadian metric side, or doing WOD’s over here in the U.S. He’s extremely strong, and is constantly improving. He’s always willing to help a friend improve and never fails to bring out the best in those around him – Chris Myers
- Beyond being an impressive athlete, and one who has made incredible progress since he first started here at Midcoast Crossfit, this athlete has an infectious sense of humor. He is one of the driest, wittiest, and tallest people I know here at Midcoast. He’s also continuously inspiring, challenging, and even daring fellow athletes to do their best and beyond – Mike Knowles
- This is one of our strongest and toughest Master’s Athletes, he is in fact one of our strongest athletes regardless of age. He constantly shows great determination, and he too pushes his friends to do their best regardless of the workout or circumstances. He’s someone I’d always want to be on my side when facing a challenge – Jeff Festa
- This is one of our most consistently outstanding athletes. He’s always working hard and pushing himself to the absolute limit of his abilities. His Opens performances are always very impressive, and he is one of our most exciting athletes to watch. He is also one half of one of Midcoast’s cutest couples – Frank Chan
- This truly amazing athlete is someone who can and sometimes does crush an Opens WOD not once, but two or three times, and then will apologize for using foul language. She never quits, and continually pushes the athletes around her. Her growth since joining Midcoast has been impressive to witness, and she has the potential to go a long way in future Opens– Liz Lynde
- This athlete would have to be our male division Rookie of the Year. He regularly crushes workouts, and did so in the opens as well. He’s only been Crossfitting for a few months and he has improved at lightning speed. I really cant imagine how far he’ll go next year – Erik Johnson
- This athlete is one of our classiest and smartest athletes. He’s kind, considerate, and he’s always full of good will toward fellow athletes. He has a never say die attitude, and often inspires those around him to do their very best and take on new challenges – Rob Artus
- This athlete is another who would absolutely run through a brick wall for a friend. She shows constant determination and an iron will. Regardless of the challenge, she will not give up until she accomplished what she has set out to do. She always has positive comment and kind word and really inspires those around her – Hadley Kornacki
- For this athlete there’s not much to say but, endless potential, boundless energy, exceptional athlete, and good human being. This athlete has the potential to go as far as he chooses in Crossfit, yet has a humble demeanor. This is not something seen every day, and this humility is probably a better quality than any of his athletic qualities – Jordan Butler.
- This athlete never ever, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, gives up. She is determined and tenacious, and she will work on a skill until she has it. She is also one of our most well spoken athletes, extremely kind and probably performs the best wedding ceremonies of any of our athletes – Dana Stivers (also one half of another of our cutest couples)
- This guy is just so tough I just don’t have the words to describe it, however he is also a very kind and sensitive soul. He’s always happy to help you out, and I know he’s helped many people in our box not only achieve PR’s but also achieve more far reaching goals- Mike Petruzzello
- This athlete is a newer addition to the Midcoast Crossfit family. She is another outstanding athlete who is also very humble. Day after day she comes to the box and crushes workouts. She also regularly attends clinics and makes improvements with just the smallest cues and coaching advice. She finished 20th in the state this year, and I’m sure she’ll do even better next year – Casey O’Brien
- This is one of our early morning athletes and he’s done amazing things since starting here at Midcoast. He’s made great improvements, consistently PR’s, but most importantly he continually encourages those around him and inspires all of the athletes around him to do their best – Chris Santisiero
- This is another of our never say die athletes. He is here at the box day in and day out constantly doing his best and encouraging those around him. Regardless of what he’s facing in a WOD or an Open’s workout, he never gives up and always pushes himself beyond what might seem like his limit – David Avery
- This athlete also works amazingly hard and does a great job. She’s here consistently giving it her all and never quits. She is another of our athletes who, no matter the challenge, refuses to give up, and rises to the occasion. This year she completed her first complete RX Opens. She constantly pushes through her limits, and always has a kind work for other athletes – Liz Reemsnyder.
- This athlete is pretty good for her size. What she does not have in altitude, she makes up for in attitude. Regardless of the weights involved she will never quit an opens workout. She continually inspires all of us with her effort and perseverance, and she smashed this year’s opens without even training for them, finishing 11th in the state in her division. She is the heart and soul of our masters program and continually motivates us to do our best no matter what. This super athlete is non other than coach Maggie. – Maggie Machado
- This athlete is our male “Spirit of the Games” athlete. He is always there for his fellow athletes showing great sportsmanship and support. He has been described by a fellow athlete and “someone who’d run through a brick wall for you – Chris Mada
- This athlete is our female “Spirit of the Games” athlete. She is always positive, kind, humble, and extremely supportive. Talk to her for a few minutes and she’ll convince you that you can conquer the world – Pam Parker
Coach Kevin went on to say…..
“I also want to give a big shout out to all of the coaches who made the Opens happen for us this year; Wendell, Elayne, Zach, Kristin, Sean, Maggie, Gabe, Riky, and Mike. Not only in judging us on the day of our workout, but by providing tips and training to help keep us fit and strong through the entire year. Your efforts are greatly appreciated, and also to our friends Chris Cirilli and Tori Campbell who step in when needed to help coach or judge an athlete during the Opens.
Finally to everyone else whose workouts were disrupted for five weeks, you too are much appreciated, and so is your amazing support. No matter what an athlete’s goal, whether it’s to better last year’s performance, or PR, or finally beat that guy from Shoreline Crossfit who you’ve been chasing for five years who has always been a jerk to you whenever you meet…or well whatever your goal is, the tremendous support from our other members really helps. So special honorable mention to Tony, Ginny and Donna for being the most supportive of supporters.”
Kevin only forgot one person in his speech and that was himself so I will correct that. Our humble and supportive coach made huge strides this year through hard work and that showed in his placement on the leader board for Master Athletes 50-55. 636th in the world, 56th in the Northeast, and 9th in Connecticut for the opens.
Awesome job this year Midcoast! Please if you are on the fence about signing up next year its highly encouraged regardless of skill level!